With all of our advances in security technology, one aspect remains constant: passwords still play a central role in system security. I recently read an article about Windows password, from which I learnt a lot and I realize it is important to have a strong Windows password. Here in this article I’d like to share with you some knowledge that I learned and help you increase your Windows security.
What Could Be a Strong Windows Password?
Isummarized that article and find that the passwords I created were actually not good passwords. Then what a strong password looks like? You must know that:
- Ac#wP3T$c is a Great Password (passwords with both letters and figures, lower case and upper case)
- J0y17 is a Good Password (use the figure 0 which looks like the letter o)
- 14 Characters is the Optimal Password Length (however, most of my passwords are less than 14 characters)
- Passwords Cannot Include Spaces (some applications do not allow this)
- Eventually Any Password Can Be Cracked
- Passwords Should be Changed Every 30 Days (it’s so important that you should regularly change your password with a rule)
If you do not have a Windows password, I suggest you read the paragraphs below to learn how to set a Windows password. Before you set the password you should think out a strong password, which is very necessary.
Steps to Create a Windows Password
It is easy for you to create a Windows password. First of all you need to create a Windows user account and then set password for it. Whether your operating system is Windows 7, Vista or XP, the steps to create a Windows password are similar. The following are steps to create a Windows password on Windows XP.
1. Click ‘Start’ -> ‘Control Panel’ -> ‘User Accounts’.
2. In the pick an account to change area of the User Accounts window, click ‘Create a new account’.
Note: If you have created a Windows account, you can ignore this step and go to step 5 to create a Windows password directly.
3. Type your user name for the account, and then click ‘Next’.
4. Select your account type and click ‘Create account’ to finish your operation. And now the user account is successfully created.
5. Click the account you just created.
6. Click ‘Create a new password’.
7. Type into your Windows password and choose a password hint, and then click ‘Create Password’.
8. Now that your Windows XP account has a password setup, you must use this password to log on to Windows XP from this point forward.
You Windows password is hard to get remembered, and you worry that you may forget Windows password one day? I here highly recommend you to use a USB flash drive or CD to create a password reset disk, which will help you easily reset your forgotten Windows password, whenever you forgot Windows login password. Besides, you could try Windows Password Recovery tool if you haven’t set a password reset disk beforehand and it could help you find your Windows 8 password, Windows 7 password, recover Windows XP password and more.