After using your user name for a long time, you may want to change the user account name (the name that displays on the Welcome and Start screens). This is once really easy in Windows 7, but in the case of Windows 8/8.1, people are facing a challenge as it is not so simple to change their user account name. This is due to the reason that there are two kinds of account in Windows 8/8.1. Thus in this article, I will show you how to change user name of Microsoft account and local user account in Windows 8 and 8.1.
Note: Changing user account name changes the name that is displayed on the Welcome and Start screen and no other place. If you want to full rename a user account, you need to create a new use account in Windows 8.1/8.
Part 1: How to Change User Name of Your Microsoft Account in Windows 8 and 8.1?
Follow steps below to rename the user name of your Microsoft account in Windows 8 and 8.1.
- Open PC setting and click on accounts on the left side.
- In windows 8/RT, open PC settings, click on Users on the left side, click the More account settings online link at the top of the right side.
- In windows 8.1/8.1RT, open PC settings, and click Accounts on the left side. Click on your account on the right side, click on the More account settings online link at the top of the right side.
- Trusted your device by entering and submitting a security code sent to your phone or alternate email address if this PC or device is not a trusted device.
Note: you can also directly go to Microsoft account summary webpage (https://account.live.com/summarypage.aspx). And then trusted your device if this PC or device is not a trusted device.
- In Internet Explorer, or default web browser, click on the Edit display name link under Account summary.
- Type in a first name and last name that you want to change for your Microsoft account name, and click on the Save button.
Part 2: How to Change User Name of Local User Account in Windows 8 and 8.1?
Follow steps below to rename the user name of your local user account in Windows 8 and 8.1. You must sign in to your computer with an administrator.
- Open File Explorer and right lick the This PC icon in the navigation pane and select Manage from its context menu
- Then Computer Management window will appear. In the left pane, go to Computer Management -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users.
- Select the user name from the list in the right pane, right click it and choose Rename.
That’s for how to change user name of Microsoft account and local user account in Windows 8 and 8.1. If you like our article, don’t forget to share it with your friend in Facebook, Twitter, or Google+.