Have you ever met such problems that you can’t send messages with your iPhone 5 or can’t receive any messages? This can really drop you into a world full of headache when you met message problems since text messages are really a life helper to better communicate with others.
Here are some tips for you to deal with these issues.
If You Can’t Send or Receive iPhone 5 Text Messages (SMS)
When you find that you cannot send any messages, neither can you receive SMS, the first thing you should do is to restart your iPhone 5: press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red “slid to power off” slider appears, and then slide the slider. Or you can press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
If restarting iPhone 5 is unworkable, you can check to update your device to the latest iOS software. Here we take the new version of iOS 6, iOS 6.1.4 as an example to update iPhone 5.
Update iPhone 5 via iTunes: connect iPhone 5 to computer, select the device when it appear in iTunes under Devices, click “Check for Update” in the Summary pane, click “Download and Update”.
Update iPhone 5 without iTunes: connect iPhone 5 to a Wi-Fi network, go to Settings > General > Software Update. When the iOS 6.1.4 update is prompted, tap “Download” and “Install”.
If you still have the message problems after the above operations, you can follow the methods below.
- Check to make sure that every iPhone 5 number in your contacts list includes an area code.
- Ensure that your contacts include the full phone number instead of just the information needed to dial locally when you send messages to existing contacts.
- Contact your current carrier to verify that the porting process has successfully completed when you have recently ported your number from another carrier.
- Check to make sure that your wireless carrier supports MMS.
- Make sure that MMS Messaging is turned on in Settings > Messages.
- Ensure that your iPhone is can access cellular data.
If you prefer to reset your iPhone 5, you can press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
If you accidently deleted or lost your iPhone 5 text messages, use iPhone Data Recovery to help you recover all messages or selectively restore any wanted SMS.